Sep 212016

Dollar Store Ninjas

Flashback some thirty five, maybe even forty years. We’re at the University of Calgary witness to a couple of “interesting” fellows hamming it up for the camera somewhere on the sprawling campus. Jumping in the time machine, it’s 2016 and C&C are on the scene, hoping to duplicate that photo in both angle and composition as closely as possible, and also in a whimsical type way much as the original. Those 70s Stoners meet the Dollar Store Ninjas.

The original photo comes from the James Tworow collection (thanks a million for allowing us use of it). If you have an old image, at least a few decades or more old,. one that shows a scene like this, that you think would make a good starting point for one of our trademark then and now posts please message us. We’d love to hear from you. We then revisit the location, try and shoot an image like it and talk about what’s seen here on this website.

University of Calgary then and now: the Dollar Store Ninjas shoot their version of an old photo. Researched, written and photographed by Chris Doering and Connie Biggart (BIGDoer/Synd)

The date of the then image is not known, but given the style of dress, the late 1970s/early 1980s period might be a good guess. Who are the people? No one knows. They’re story? A mystery. If you recognize them, by all means chime in. They sure look like every Stoner/Hoser type fellow I went to high-school with. Who shot the photo? Another unknown. I guess it was found in a mixed box of photos purchased at some estate sale.

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ Scroll down for photos and to comment ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

The U of C Campus is almost a city in itself. It’s massive, a metropolis, and a map is needed just to get around. Founded in the 1960s and expanded many times over the years, the faculty is well recognized and respected. At any one time, some thirty thousand students are enrolled here. The location is Northwest Calgary, when built in the suburbs near the edge of town, but today deep inside it.

The tower seen in back of both photos if the Social Sciences Building. It dates form the University’s early days, so the 1960s and is one of the older buildings on campus. That era, (author’s opinion) sure had uninspired architecture. It’s a plain box.

Seen in our now photo, foreground, but seemingly not in the old one is the Science A Building. In fact one of the original structures on Campus, we’re terribly confused why it does not seem to appear in the then photo. What the? It was around when that image was captured.

Are we in the wrong spot? We immediately thought that and walked around the entire campus, but this is the only angle that worked.

Was or is there another similar building like the Social Sciences? We looked hard and found none, although there were a few that are close in design but differing enough that we could eliminate them. We also looked into the possibility there another in the past that looked like it that perhaps was torn down at some point. Came up empty there. We even asked the University itself and they identified our building as the same Social Sciences tower seen in the old photo. All if this points to us being in the right spot – it all lines ups. But, that Science A Building? Scratching our heads!

An optical illusion maybe? Your guess is as good as ours. This one bothers us a great deal. It’s right, yet it’s wrong. Strange indeed.

The University is celebrating it’s fiftieth anniversary in 2016. Interestingly our Dollar Store Ninja matched the colours of the anniversary flags seen posted about the campus, almost perfectly. What a strange coincidence!

Love these then and now posts?
Calgary then and now – Civil Defence.
Calgary then and now – Miles for Millions.
Blairmore then and now – Sleepee Teepee Motel.

If you wish more information on what you’ve seen here, by all means contact us!

Date: August, 2016.
Location: Calgary, AB.
Article references and thanks: University of Calgary.

• _______________

Please share...

_______________

Something to say about this post...

Jump to comments - fast and easy user sign-in, "name only" guest sign-in, or one click social sign-in; plus optional comment subscription.

Or private message us...

Email: chrisbigdoer@gmail.com, or use this form...

Dollar Store Ninjas

The Dollar Store Ninjas visit the University of Calgary – matching colours!

U of C then and now

U of C Campus late 1970s/early 1980s and 2016.

We recommend...

Join the discussion...

4 Comments on "University of Calgary then and now"

Subscribe only
avatar
Sort by:   newest | oldest
James Tworow
Guest
James Tworow

(via Facebook)
Just talked with the guy who took the photo, it was probably taken in 1975.

Paul von Huene
Guest
Paul von Huene

Is it the Arts Building taken from the Crowchild side?

wpDiscuz