Viscount Bennett

School is most definitely out! Here’s a look at Viscount Bennett High (later Viscount Bennett Centre) in Calgary’s Southwest and it’s been closed for many years now. There, right beside a quiet little lane called Crowchild Trail (maybe you’ve heard of it?) and last an adult learning centre, it’s currently surplus to the needs of the Calgary Board of Education.

While we couldn’t find a for sale listing at the time of publication, we believe the CBE is eager to dispose of the property. Located on choice inner-city land (it was in the ‘burbs when built) developers must be salivating over the possibilities. Is wiping it off the map and starting afresh in the cards should that happen? Or reuse? Only time will tell what happens with the building, but suspect the former is more likely.

Viscount Bennett: A school closed and with an uncertain future. Skipping class with Chris Doering & Connie Biggart (BIGDoer/Synd)

This article was made possible by a gift from “Leslie O’Keefe” and for that we owe a debt of gratitude.
Do the same…

Bennett dates back to the 1950s and expanded upon many times over the decades to follow. The school could accommodate a couple thousand students peak size but now the halls are quiet and devoid of life. It’s rather plain in design, as institutional buildings of the mid-century era often are, but every now and then there’s a pleasant little something. Those tile accents are nice, for example. In spite of that there’s a real prison aesthetic going on here.

Scroll down for photos and to comment.

With enrolment declining, the school closed around 2000-ish. The CBE’s rather silent on the matter, even when asked directly, so we looked at various data points to fill in the blanks and could be off some. If you know for sure, then please speak up and we’ll amend the article.

Viscount Bennett School

It’s a former high school, vacant & boarded up.

Soon afterwards, or perhaps transitioning over time from one role to another, the building found a second calling as Chinook Learning Services. A school for adults nothing much changed for Viscount Bennett, save for the age of the students. At this point, sections of the building were unneeded and left empty.

In the past Viscount Bennett also functioned as a junior high.

Closed permanently in 2018, the building’s so/so condition was said to be a contributing factor to that happening. And indeed, a report from a few years prior speaks of many problems and much in need of attention. This: “The building is in adequate condition but serious consideration must be given to current building code requirements and hazardous materials abatement.” That last bit can only mean asbestos and sure enough, it later makes mention.

So for now it sits empty and awaiting the unknown. It’s not going to be cheap to demolish the building, given it’s constructed of concrete, but one can’t help think it’s the only play available should it change hands. Really, what else could you do with it? Blast shelter maybe? Super Villain’s lair? A place to hold up during the Zombie Apocalypse?

With that, Jojo the physic says: “I see…many people…and high density residential units (code name: condo)…in your future”. That’s a strong bet.

What about the sports field? As prime park material there might be push back should redevelopment there be suggested and one can’t help think it’ll be kept as green space no matter the outcome. We saw a lot of people out for walks up there, so it’s well used in spite of the school being closed. Interestingly close to the building we were all alone and it was ours to explore freely.

The grounds are kept up, to a degree at least, so it’s not an eye sore in every sense. It’s looks as though it’s being watched too, important as disused structures are always a magnet for trouble.

It seems Bennett found use as a set for a filmed production soon after closing.

Multi-lane Crowchild Trail runs right out front, but provides no access to the property. When the school was built, it was not the busy thoroughfare it is today and instead just another street (24th Street on old maps). With so many people speeding past, we wonder how many even notice the school? Heck, most could run over a pedestrian and never realize it.

Across old Richmond Road to the north one can find redemption. Except for us and we’ve been told there’s no hope.

In the past one could find ice cream around here. Lots of it too! There used to be one of those small walk up Dairy Queens operating within view of Bennett’s front door and come lunch, we suspect they did a good business. Your author recalls visiting this DQ in the early 1980s – a group of us came in from Manning not far away, to rumble with some local toughs. The two schools were rivals and tensions were high. Griffins rule and Vikings fail!

Lucky for them we got sidetracked by a chocolate sundae or there would be some serious banging of heads going on. Broken bones. Bruised egos. You know and we even had the smokes rolled up in our sleeves and everything! Manning and Bennett were sworn enemies…or so we fancifully imagined.

The former Dairy Queen property was later home to DQ Dental (Connie temped there once) but the firm’s now gone and a different dentist occupies the building. DQs always smelled funny (IMHO) and I swear it still permeated the air here. After all these years!

Viscount Bennett High School

This is Viscount Bennett.

The school sits in the community of Richmond established in the early 1950s. Richmond Road was once a main route through the community and runs right past the school but this section was truncated on the building of Crowchild Trail (around 1970).

Since this piece was photographed (around the time of the first pandemic in 2020, making it yet another Covid-Caper) nothing much has changed with the property. The grass gets cut and the fencing’s still up so on outside appearances it’s as though nothing’s going on. But who know what deals are being made behind closed doors and what the coming months or next year might bring. It won’t stay the same, that’s for sure.

Viscount Bennett, as RB Bennett, was a long time politician and also Prime Minister of Canada for the first half of the 1930s. He was given the title Viscount (a nobility rank between Earl and Baron) on later retiring to England.

Know more (new window): Viscount Bennett High School Calgary.

Watch for new content posted regularly.

They’re saying…

”Thank you so much for your fantastic articles and photos. Alberta and BC are dear to my heart. I could spend 24/7 here with you! I especially love the before and after articles . Keep up the great work guys !! I was born and raised in Calgary in the 50’s so this history is my passion.” Joanne Winchester Honer. (Hearing this made us happy!)

More like this…
Mayland Heights School – It’s unique!
Sunalta – Also along Crowchild.
Roland School – A small one-roomer stuck in time.

If you feel like chatting or want more information on what you see here feel free to contact us!

Date of Adventure: June, 2020.
Location(s): Calgary, AB.
Article references and thanks: Calgary Board of Education, City of Calgary and Government of Alberta.

• _________________________

BIGDoer.com: Doing it Different!

Something to say in private? Click here to: Reach Us!
    NEWS!First TimersFAQMeet the Team
    BIGDoer.com on Facebook

If you liked this post, please tip your server…

Or

© 2012-2024 Chris Doering, Johanna (Connie) Biggart & the BIGDoer.com Society. 🍁🎀

Viscount Bennett High School Calgary

Up to the sports field.

Chinook Learning Viscount Bennett

It was last an adult learning campus.

Viscount Bennett Centre

Here since the 1950s.

Viscount Bennett Calgary

There was no one about.

Viscount Bennett Crowchild Trail

Right beside busy Crowchild Trail.

Calgary Viscount Bennett

Demanding, aren’t they?

Calgary AB Viscount Bennett

Is redevelopment in the cards?

Calgary Viscount Bennett HS

Or can it be reused?

Viscount Bennett Gym

It’s mostly a plain building…

High School Viscount Bennett

…But these tiles are a nice touch.

Richmond Road Viscount Bennett

Redemption is found across the road.

Bennett School Calgary

At the end it was called Viscount Bennett Centre.

Bennett High School Calgary

And they mean it!

Bennett High School Calgary Alberta

It was big enough for a couple thousand students.

22 responses

1. Theo says:

I graduated from Viscount Bennett in 1995 and at that time, it was an adult high school with the VB name…it hadn’t changed to Chinook Learning yet.

2. Margaret Peddie Swedish says:

Amazing & interesting!

3. KC Combs says:

No one does it like you two! Yes, Bennett was the enemy at Manning and we’d trash them every chance we had.

4. Marge O'Brian says:

Class of 1966!

5. Harry Styles says:

This is the stuff of memories! Thank you for documenting so much Calgary History.

6. Sheryl says:

gosh, was about 20 years ago I took night classes at Viscount Bennett. Seeing how it is now, is sad,, this school had a lot of history over the years. if the walls could talk .

7. Tnaq says:

It housed Westmount Charter School for about ten years, 2001 to 2011. I think the building was shared with Chinook. It was a part of my daily commute to drop our daughter off, some good memories associated with it.

8. Ghostly Hal says:

Class of 1969!

9. Eric May says:

Its days are probably numbered. Between lack of insulation, old inefficient heating systems, designated substances and deferred maintenance due to tight budgets it would be a money pit.

10. Simon says:

It’s for sale now. Has been for about 6 or 7 months.

You cannot copy content of this page

Please log-in to continue...
This allows unrestricted access to every post @BIGDoer.com, popups are eliminated,
commenting is on and the "contact us" page is enabled.

Esc to close this box.

Lost Password?

Or...

Your social site may send you a routine notice of login.

Or signup, here: Subscriber Register
___
BIGDoer.com: Serving up POP HISTORY & other McFun!…(Mmmm, yummy bite-sized pieces.)
One million plus words & tens of thousands of photos!