Brownville School

Cruising down some lonely country road in Saskatchewan comes the sight of a building off in the distance. Even from this early vantage point it’s got a familiar form and there’s little doubt what lies ahead. It’s a one-roomer and on closer inspection does not appear to be in a derelict state as is often the case with these discoveries. No, it’s made to look as it did long ago, a time capsule with desks, a chalk board and all the trappings. This is Brownville School and class is in!

The building dates from 1927 (most sources) or 1926 depending – take your pick – and remained in use until 1960. Representing a once common sight out on the prairies there used to thousands upon thousands of these, spaced out at regular intervals as needed. With road improvements and a declining farm population it later became easier to just bus kids to larger and more centralized facilities, usually in a nearby town.

Brownville School: 1927(or 1926)-1960 with Chris Doering & Connie Biggart (BIGDoer/Synd)

This article was sponsored by “Phyllis Hope” and for this act of kindness we send our thanks.
Do the same…

As was typical, a single teacher did it all and students could be of nearly any age. What ever grade was needed got taught but sometimes only up to junior high level, if that, not that many kids went that far. You know, there’s work to do on the farm and dropping out was sometimes done out of necessity. Going all the way to twelve? Then you might have to leave farm and family behind to travel to a bigger community.

Scroll down for photos and to comment.

Enrolment at these one-room schools was small (ten or maybe fifteen seems about average) and many children were often related. They had to walk or ride (horses) to class (all while scaling Everest, if you believe the legend) so a school couldn’t be too far away. Depending on the local population, these buildings might be spaced as little as six or eight kilometres apart but that could vary.

When no longer needed (and for most rural schools this was in the 1950s-1960s period), these buildings were often demolished. Still, a good number got a second life as farm outbuildings or granaries and were sometimes moved as a result. A few were acquired by museums and some were simply abandoned and left to rot in place. This particular school was made into a community centre after closing, a fate not unheard of, and functioned as such for a number of years. The exact dates are unknown but the 1960s-1970s period, minimally, is suggested. If you know and we’re certain someone out there does, drop your thoughts in the comments.

Later, the building was fixed up to appear as though a functioning school and all that’s missing are students. The red roof is new but otherwise it appears pretty much as it did based on old photos. There’s an entrance way, one large class-room and a bank of big windows to help light it all. Rectangular in shape and with a hip roof, it’s typical in every way and not unlike countless others of its type.

Heat would have come from an oil or coal stove and this likely sat in the basement. We didn’t go down there, not that stupid us noticed the entrance anyway, but would have refused due to the potential for creepy-crawly things. Spiders are evil and scheming b******s you know!

Being built to the standards of the time the school likely has minimal insulation, meaning you’d either freeze or cook depending on the weather outside. Hard to believe here in Canada, where the conditions are so extreme that little consideration was given to this. It’s frigid? Deal with it! It’s stifling? Deal with it! That’s how they rolled, but still, what were they thinking?

There’s a rudimentary playground, an open field for sports and at the far reaches of the property, a fine phone-booth looking structure where you did your business. Imagine what fun it would be having to use it in a blustery Saskatchewan snowstorm.

A couple farms are visible from the property present day, but in years past there would have been many more in the area. There’s not much going on and we saw no one about, a reminder of just how out there the school is.

We’re kept busy reading the chalkboard and while hoping to find profound words of wisdom, mostly it’s names and dates of those who have dropped by Brownville School. There’s Dane, Kim, Jeanette and various members of the Wig family, all who have left their mark. Still, one person took the time to remind us that we’re all loved and needed and with that comes a little tear. Sniff…sniff…we love you too…brother.

The piano’s out of tune and the clock’s frozen in time. There’s the Union Jack, the Maple Leaf and a much younger version of her Majesty looks down approvingly. There’s some interesting reading at the little library and we thumb through more than a few volumes in random fashion. We didn’t learn a thing, but then again nothing in school ever sunk in.

There we were on the Saskatchewan Plains, stuck in time, but the road calls and the daydream must end. We were just getting into it too and pictured ourselves again as students (where’s my dunce cap?), but that’s how it goes. The bubble pops.

Brownsville is named after the person who donated the land long ago. We don’t know the folks behind its restoration or the names of those that continue to watch over and maintain it, but whomever, we’re thankful someone cares. The building has been historically recognized since the late 1990s.

Later that day, it’s an old truck in a town down the road and you know what happens when we see one. Screech and then click, click. Note the old Gulf Oil logo and that road-warrior push bumper – how cool. Oh, and the Ford’s nice too.

There’s always new content being posted here at BIGDoer.com, so stay tuned for more!

They’re saying…

“Just came across this page and thoroughly enjoyed the pictures and stories. Wonderful information on places to go see and visit!!” Kerrie Hamilton.

Time for learnin’…
Sunlata – Your author attended and it’s never been the same!
Roland School – Another restored one room school.
Netherhill Saskatchewan School.

If you wish more information on what you’ve seen here, by all means contact us!

Date: March, 2021.
Location: Middle of Nowhere, SK.
Article references and thanks: Canada’s Historic Places (HistoricPlaces.ca) and our friend Dale for showing us around.

• _________________________

BIGDoer.com: Doing it Different!

Something to say in private? Click here to: Reach Us!
    NEWS!First TimersFAQMeet the Team
    BIGDoer.com on Facebook

If you liked this post, please tip your server…

Or

© 2012-2024 Chris Doering, Johanna (Connie) Biggart & the BIGDoer.com Society. 🍁🎀

Brownville School

Welcome to Brownville School.

Brownville School SK

It’s a long walk to the facilities way back there.

Brownville School Saskatchewan

There’s all kinds of little things on display.

SK Brownville School

A prize winner.

Saskatchewan Brownville School

Bob’s protractor set.

Brownville School District

Take that flat-earthers!

Brownville School District SK

It’s a classic one room school, restored.

Brownville School in Saskatchewan

The student’s view.

Wings of Wonder Book

Browsing the little library.

Old Truck Saskatchewan

Later that day, an old truck and so we must stop.

16 responses

1. Andy Bear says:

It’s so awesome that there is still some of the prairie history around for all to enjoy. I had the privilege of finding a similar school in Saskatchewan last summer. It was built in 1924 and closed in 1965. It was as though the students and teacher had left the room to go out for some fresh air and left me alone to take it all in.

2. Connie Biggart says:

Awesome!

3. Veronica Martell says:

What an amazing website you have!

4. Cathy Beaven Klapstein says:

I love this!

5. Ashley Huriet says:

It is a very cool school house out in the landscape of the vast prairie…its a really neat step back in time

6. Wayne F. Brown says:

The job of teacher must have been challenging.

7. Jason Sailer says:

Oh wow, that’s interesting! A neat place to check out!

You cannot copy content of this page

Please log-in to continue...
This allows unrestricted access to every post @BIGDoer.com, popups are eliminated,
commenting is on and the "contact us" page is enabled.

Esc to close this box.

Lost Password?

Or...

Your social site may send you a routine notice of login.

Or signup, here: Subscriber Register
___
BIGDoer.com: Serving up POP HISTORY & other McFun!…(Mmmm, yummy bite-sized pieces.)
One million plus words & tens of thousands of photos!