Three Hills Pathways & Sidewalks

We’re in Three Hills Alberta doing a research project and have a few hours to spare after finishing early. What to do…what shall we do…? How about a little walk about and let’s get to know the community a little better. Sounds like a plan but given it was a last minute thing, the route was sort of conceived as we went. Still, it turned out well and of course we planned it so we’d pass interesting stuff along the way.

Posting at BIGDoer,com has restarted after taking most of the summer off and to that we say: hurrah! We’ve been busy the whole time hiking, shooting Then & Nows and visiting so many historic sites. Just you wait and we’ll be sharing these adventurers soon enough. We have a backlog that should keep us busy for some time to come and more keeps coming.

Three Hills Pathways & Sidewalks: a little “just because” for fun and exercise. A Chris & Connie adventure.

Start at the south edge of town along First Avenue East at Eleventh Street and down there by the tracks. It’s where the pathway starts and there’s plenty of parking here.

Head north and follow the railway. This is a Canadian National line connecting Calgary to points north and it sees a handful of trains per day. Even though we held out hope, none showed for us.

After a few blocks two historic and quite photogenic grain elevators come into view. There used to many others here and now this pair are the only ones left. They sit right across the tracks from each other and one (the blue/green former Alberta Wheat Pool elevator) remains in use privately, and the other (former Parrish & Heimbecker) stands empty at the moment. It has for some time and that it’s fenced off suggests it’s not got much time left.

The Pool building is fairly modern, as wood grain elevators go, and dates from the 1960s. The other is well over a century old (with some newer additions) and yet the two don’t differ all that much in form or function. It’s not clear when either last loaded grain shipped out by rail, but the late 1990s/early 2000s is likely. At least for the newer elevator.

Know more about the pair: Prairie Sentinels – Three Hills Alberta.

It’s hard to imagine that at one time, not all that long ago, there were hundreds and hundreds of grain elevators scattered across the Alberta prairies. Now there’s so few left and more are lost each year.

Just past the fire station the pathway ends, so cross the road and continue up First Street North then almost immediately take a left on Second Avenue. It does a little jog a block or so later and shortly after enters the Prairie College Campus. This was formerly Prairie Bible College and it has roots in Three Hills that go back about a hundred years.

In the past, the college and associated housing took up most of the north end of town. The complex has shrunk considerably over the years yet it still has quite the footprint, both space wise and in terms of impact on the local economy. Go right on Third Street North and pass right through the heart of the campus.

There’s a mix of old buildings here and many more that are much newer. Prairie High School is housed in one of the former. Empty lots and sidewalks to nowhere mark the sites of former houses and dorms for faculty and students. The old East Gym Quonset seen is likely to be demolished based on the talk we’ve heard, but it’s no longer of use anyway.

Go right on Seventh Avenue North and just before the main road into town, turn left and take to the pathway in an easterly direction. Just past Prairie Tabernacle Church (it’s huge and connected to the college), cross over the highway to a pathway on the opposite side, then turn left.

Ahead it’s the Three Hills Museum and this makes a good turn around point. There’s some outdoor train displays (two thumbs up from us) and if it’s open there’s always the option to venture inside and look around. It was closed this day but we’ve been inside before. A quick detour into the campground behind the museum is made and that’s to seek out any Bolers that might be lurking, but none were seen. No trains and no little fibreglass trailers – this day is a bust!

After a little rest (benches and shade here) head back the way you came. But don’t cross the highway as before and continue straight while paralleling the main road (aka Second Street North).

At Sixth Avenue North, leave the pathway and turn left towards downtown. Just before that and straight ahead, the town’s iconic water tower can be seen a couple blocks away. It’s the tallest thing around and can be seen for quite the distance. See: Then & Now: Three Hills Alberta.

Turn left on Main Street and enter downtown Three Hills. There was not much going on the day of our visit, but recall it was a Sunday after all. There’s a mix of new business blocks here and few that are clearly quite old (Three Hills dates back to the early 1910s). We admire an old sign connected to a laundromat and while here shot a Then & Now which as yet is unpublished.

We take in the murals here and it seems that every single wall is so adorned. One honours those who served in the military, another depicts the various churches in the community and a third pays homage to the grain industry (which was and is big business here).

There’s more, but we didn’t want to overload you with photos. Especially since the light was horrible this day and made ugly for flat images (our apologies).

A little birdie told us to look for a certain doorway and lift up the entry mat. There it is! The hardware store is long gone, but their tile entryway remains and looks in good shape. It’s these little discoveries we treasure most and we’re thankful for that tip from a local.

At the T-intersection a couple block hence cross over to the pathway on the far side (the same one you used on the first leg of this adventure) and turn left. Some blocks later, you’ll be back where you started and the trek will be at an end.

We find these in-town walks are a great way to get to know a community, even if we don’t always see everything that might be of interest to us, and a great way to keep fit too. We can’t always make it to the mountains for a hike so these work well and are thoroughly enjoyed.

Nagging health issues sometimes forces us to keep to the streets as wall and this is yet another reason we do these. Plus they often come with a history angle, which of course is draws us in. We have an insatiable appetite you know.

We enjoyed our little tour of Three Hills Alberta and hope you did as well. Adios and until next time, keep exploring!

Know more about the community (new window): Three Hills Alberta.

They’re saying…

”We’ve been following your adventures for years and have done many of the walks you’ve posted. Thanks for being such a great resource!” James and Ashlee Sandler.

More like this…
Didsbury Alberta Town Loop.
Chestermere Town Loop.
Drumheller Pathways.

If you wish more information about this route or if you love to chat don’t hesitate to contact us!

Date of adventure: May 2023.
Location: Three Hills, Alberta.
Distance: 7km total.
Height gain maximum: Negligible.
Height gain cumulative: See above.
NOTE: all distances and heights are approximate and may differ slightly from other trip reports (including our own).

• _________________________

BIGDoer.com: Doing it Different!

Something to say in private? Click here to: Reach Us!
    NEWS!First TimersFAQMeet the Team
    BIGDoer.com on Facebook

If you liked this post, please tip your server…

Or

© 2012-2024 Chris Doering, Johanna (Connie) Biggart & the BIGDoer.com Society. 🍁🎀

Three Hills Pathways

It begins at the south end of town down by the tracks.

Three Hills Alberta Pathways

A great way to waste away the afternoon – CN line on the left.

Old Truck Three Hills

Someone’s future project?

Grain Elevators Three Hills

Three Hills Alberta is home to two old grain elevators.

Grain Elevator Three Hills AB

The one in the foreground is not in use.

Three Hills Pathways

It was election time.

Three Hills Alberta

Pretty things along the way.

Flowers Three Hills AB

Lilacs were in full bloom.

Prairie College

Site of a former house in the Prairie College complex.

Three Hills Disc Golf

We play…but not very well.

Prairie High School

Prairie High School on the college grounds.

East Gym Three Hills

The old east gym is likely to be demolished.

Prairie College Three Hills

The former site of dormitories.

Pathways Three Hills

A lot of prairie towns are putting in pathway systems.

Three Hills Museum

The Three Hills Museum is our turn around point.

Three Hills Alberta Museum

A rail display next to the main hall.

Pathways Three Hills AB

A little break before continuing on.

Pathways Three Hills Alberta

Heading back now.

Three Hills Walk

Next stop: downtown.

Downtown Three Hills

Not much happening on a Sunday afternoon.

Downtown Three Hills AB

Some of the oldest business blocks here.

Three Hills Downtown

Rather than throw it away make it into a planter.

Using Speed Queen Washers

That retro sign!

Three Hills Murals

Murals cover nearly every visible wall.

Hardware Store Three Hills

Lookie here!

Three Hills AB Mural

An homage to the grain industry.

Three Hills Alberta Mural

And a tribute to those who served.

Pathways Three Hills

Almost at the end.

Three Hills Loop

Three Hills Pathways & Sidewalks: seven clicks of fun. Star = start.

You cannot copy content of this page